Position: Composite Development and Tooling Engineer
The Composite Development and Tooling Engineer conducts engineering activity associated with composite manufacturing process development and/or tooling projects. This may include manufacturing process parameter definition, ply pattern development, manufacturing order development and documentation, tool design, and any related QMS activity. Some project management responsibilities assigned as well.
The candidate who will succeed best in this role will have the initiative to thrive in a smaller company environment where responsibilities are broad based, have a strong interest in composites manufacturing technical hands-on activities (vs a desire to be 100% design/analysis focus), and a strong interest to develop their engineering skills by working alongside a team of more senior level engineers. Someone who values long term career stability (as we are seeking a long term hire) is desired.
Primary Position Responsibilities:
- Provide engineering support on projects as assigned by group or project managers. Consult closely with senior engineering staff on approach and then work independently to develop solutions to design, material and processing problems relating to composites manufacturing.
- Learn all aspects of composites manufacturing technologies used at Radius, specifically resin transfer molding (RTM) and same qualified resin transfer molding (SQRTM)
- Develop a thorough understanding of material forms, processing conditions and their effects on part quality and performance.
- Create and maintain complete and well-written documentation of all work, providing timely and clear communications with other Radius staff and Radius customers. Work with senior engineering staff to develop processing documentation, reports, CAD data, etc. • Implement and follow all QMS Procedures applicable to this position. Provide feedback to the Quality Manager for continuous improvement to applicable QMS processes. Develop related documents as needed.
- Process engineering responsibilities will include the ability to investigate and determine optimum processing parameters for composite part fabrication by consulting product literature and material manufacturers for processing and material information. Will have continuous hands-on involvement in prototyping, part fabrication and process development.
- Design prototype and production tooling and equipment to support composite development projects. Tooling and equipment designs must meet process conditions and loads consistent with industry standards and best practices.
Primary Position Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering discipline is required. Preferably BSME or BS Materials Engineering.
- Ideal candidate will have 2-4 years’ industry experience in an out-of-autoclave composites design/manufacturing environment. However, we can consider alternate composites experience, and candidates right out of their Bachelor’s degree (depending on their educational focus, internship experience, etc.) or a more senior level candidate with up to 8 years of experience.
- Basic understanding of and demonstrated interest in composites/tooling design and composites fabrication required.
- Experience with CAD /analysis tools required. Solidworks highly preferred.
- Experience or demonstrated potential to develop out-of-autoclave manufacturing processing including ply pattern definition, lay-up/tool assembly instructions, injection and cure parameter definition.
- Prior experience in and/or strong desire to work in an engineering role in a smaller company environment, where the majority of the role will focus on engineering support/design/analysis, but also has a strong focus on technical, hands-on work (experimentation, testing, some technician type fabrication work).
- Experience effectively communicating and functioning within a project team including senior level engineers in multiple locations (including effective use of WebEx or Skype type communication/collaboration tools).
- US Citizenship required.
Affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Women & minorities encouraged. US employment eligibility verified. No smokers/vapers.
To Apply: Email resume to: email@example.com. Please include “Composites Development & Tooling Engineer” in the subject line.